You might be looking at this site and be feeling really desperate for help. Even if it is in the middle of the night you might feel you need help from us right now.
You want to make the space you are in as safe as possible so you can begin to get through what you are feeling.
These are some ideas of what might help you now:
- You might need to move to a different space or room; the important thing is that you feel in control.
- Take 10 slow deep breaths. Concentrate on your stomach or your feet as you breathe in and out. Notice what happens. Do this a couple of times until you feel a difference.
- If you can, allow yourself to feel this feeling. It is okay to cry or shout and let out what you are feeling.
- Do you have a friend or a trusted person you can speak to right now? Give them a call or text and let them know you need someone to speak to.
- Find something that makes you feel glad to be alive. This could be a photograph of loved ones, a happy memory, or music which you really love.
- Express how you feel. Write it down, draw it or say it out loud.
If you need to reach out for help from a professional, if you are feeling suicidal or having thoughts of self harm, below are other sources of support:
- Your local GP. Ring them and arrange to see them as soon as possible.
- Emergency Services. Dial 999 and ask for the police or ambulance service.
- Your local Accident & Emergency department. Ask to be seen by the duty psychiatrist or mental health liaison nurse, who should be able to assess you and give you appropriate help.
There are a number of phone lines that can also help:
- Samaritans on 116 123 for 24-hour confidential emotional support
- Childline on 0800 11 11 (10.30pm-3.30am) confidential support to children and young people up to the 19th birthday.
- CALM on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm-midnight)
- CASS on 0808 800 8088 (Tuesday - Thursday, 7pm-9.30pm except some holidays) for women looking for confidential and anonymous self-injury support. Text, webchat and email support also available.
- PAPYRUS on 0800 068 4141 (Weekdays from 10am-10pm, Weekends from 2pm-10pm and Bank Holidays from 2pm-5pm) for confidential advice and support.
- Young Minds on 85258 for 24/7 crisis support. Text YM to 85258. (Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus)